|Real Name||Smriti Malhotra|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Model, Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet inches– 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 80 kg
in pounds– 176 lbs
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||2003: Joined BJP
2004: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections from Chandi Chowk in Delhi and lost to Congress candidate Kapil Sibal. The same year, she was absorbed as a Vice-President for the Maharashtra youth wing
2009: Campaigned for Vijay Goel’s candidature in New Delhi
2010: Appointed as the National Secretary of the party and was roped in as the President of the Mahila (women) wing for BJP
2011: Became a member of the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat
2014: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections against Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi Constituency and lost by 1,07,923 votes. However, Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed her as the Minister of Human Resource Development in his cabinet
2016: In July, the Ministry of Human Resource Development was taken away from Irani, and she was given the Ministry of Textiles instead, in a cabinet reshuffle
2017: In July, she was handed the additional charge of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
2018: In May, the additional charge of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting was taken away from her and was given to Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
2019: Contested the Lok Sabha Elections against Rahul Gandhi in the Amethi Constituency and won by a margin of 55,120 votes and became the Minister of Women and Child Development
|Biggest Rival||Rahul Gandhi|
|Debut||Video Song: Song “Boliyan” of the album “Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” with Mika Singh in 1998
TV Serial: Aatish and Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal, both aired on Star Plus in 2000
TV Producer: Virrudh for Sony TV in 2007
TV Host: Yeh Hai Jalwa, a dance based reality show on 9X in 2008
Film (Actress): Amrita, a Bengali film in 2012
|Date of Birth||23 March 1976|
|Age (as in 2019)||43 Years|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||Holy Child Auxilium School, New Delhi|
|College/University||School of Open Learning, University of Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||• 12th Pass
• Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) first year from Delhi University’s School of Open Learning (did not complete the three-year degree course)
|Caste/Ethnicity||• Half-Punjabi half-Maharashtrian (from her father’s side)
• Bengali-Assamese (from her mother’s side)
|Address||A-602, Neptune Apartments, Swami Samarth Nagar 4th Cross Lane, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri West, Mumbai 400053|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga, Listening to Music, Travelling, Playing Carrom|
|Controversies||• Her educational qualification became controversial in 2014 when she made contradictory claims regarding her educational degrees. In 2004, she claimed to have a degree in BA while in 2014 she claimed to have a degree in Commerce.
• She was criticized for not taking appropriate action in the suicide case of a Dalit student of Hyderabad University, Rohit Vemula.
• A number of central-university Vice Chancellors criticized Irani when she sacked two vice chancellors, during her tenure as HRD Minister.
• In October 2014, a furor was created over her decision to replace German with Sanskrit as the third language in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
• Management institutes i.e., IIMs were at the loggerheads with Irani when she cleared a clause to include the IIMs under the ambit of her ministry.
• A number of bureaucrats left her ministry citing her high-handed way of functioning.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 2001|
|Husband/Spouse||Zubin Irani (Businessman)
|Children||Son– Zohr Irani (Born in 2001)
Daughters– Zoish Irani (Born in 2003), Shanelle Irani (Step-daughter)
|Parents||Father– Ajay Kumar Malhotra
Mother– Shibani Bagchi
|Siblings||Brother– Name Not Known
Sister(s)– Two Younger Sisters (Names Not Known)
|Favourite Food||Gujarati Cuisines, Pizza, Chocolates|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Dharmendra, Saif Ali Khan, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Actress(es)||Rekha, Hema Malini|
|Favourite Cartoon Show||Tom and Jerry|
|Favourite Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Film(s)||Mr. India (1987), Avengers Series|
|Favourite Film Director||Shekhar Kapur|
|Assets/Properties||Movable: Rs. 3.83 Crore (as in 2019)
Immovable: Rs. 7.28 Crore (as in 2019)
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances (as in 2019)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11.11 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Smriti Irani
- Does Smriti Irani smoke?: No
- Does Smriti Irani drink alcohol?: No
- Smriti Irani is a popular Indian TV actress-turned-politician.
- Her mother was a member of Jana Sangh and her grandfather was an RSS Swayamsevak.
- After Smriti Irani was a schoolgirl at Delhi, her parents had invited an astrologer to predict their three daughters’ futures. The astrologer announced that while her two younger sisters could do all right,”Badi Ladki Ka Kuchh Nahin Hoga.”
- In an interview, she revealed that her parents hadn’t any big dreams for her ; they just needed her to get married to a good boy.
- Growing up in Delhi, Smriti wanted to become a civil servant or a journalist. But, her father didn’t approve of some of them; as he believed that neither livelihood could satisfy her.
- Then, she packed her bags for Mumbai in which she participated in the Femina Miss India competition in 1998. But she couldn’t reach the top 9. In the contest, Lymaraina D’Souza had become the winner.
- From the early days of her career, Irani worked at McDonald’s at Bandra, Mumbai as a waitress. But on his job at McDonald’s, Smriti states -All I wanted at this time was to graduate to the next level where I would be the 1 standing and welcoming guests to McDonald’s. That meant more cash.”
- She appeared in a song of the album “Saawan Mein Lag Gayi Aag” with Mika Singh in 1998.
- Smriti was first seen by the TV manufacturer Shobha Kapoor (Ekta Kapoor’s mom ) when she had been working with the manufacturer of a show called Bakeman’s Ooh La La..
- From the mid-2000, she became a household name when she played the role of Tulsi Virani at Ekta Kapoor’s creation”Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi” on Star Plus. The sequential conducted for eight decades and Smriti became India’s most adored Bahu. Smriti says that she never watched one episode of this sequential though.
- Before her TV stint, Smriti had also done numerous modelling assignments.
- She holds the record for the most number (consecutively five times) of all Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress (popular).
- Reportedly, she Acquired Gaps with Ekta Kapoor and left the Series in 2007. But in 2008, she chose at a unique event.
- She played with the mythological Part of Sita in Zee TV’s Ramayan in 2001.
- Back in 2003, while Kyunki… was still at its summit, Smriti combined the BJP, a party which was then looking after a high-profile showbiz star into its fold.
- In 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, she contested unsuccessfully against Rahul Gandhi from the Amethi Constituency in Uttar Pradesh.